So then…another holiday is soon to fall upon us and the Kent courier JDL Deliveries says “bring it on!” We also state you cannot possibly elicit maximum enjoy of any holiday period without a list of irreverent facts to accompany it. So in finest JDL Deliveries blog tradition here comes a list…
- Easter is celebrated at different times by Eastern and Western Christians. That’s because the dates for Easter in Eastern Christianity are based on the Julian Calendar.
- Easter eggs and the giving of them as gifts actually pre-dates Easter, as many cultures consider it a symbol of rebirth since the times of the Ancient Egyptians and Persians, hence it’s adoption by Christians.
- The first chocolate eggs were made in Europe in the early 19th Century, whilst in the midlands, John Cadbury made the first “Cadbury” Easter eggs in 1875.
- On average a child in the UK will receive 8.8 Easter eggs this year. The number they get to eat before their parents “test” them remains to be seen…
- The first chocolate egg for Easter was made in 1873 by a company in Bristol called Fry’s.
- The word “Easter” occurs only once in the King James Bible (Acts 12:4), whilst elsewhere in the King James version, the word “Passover” is used.
- Unlike Christmas, Easter was declared a movable festival by early Christians. Easter Sunday would fall on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. However, this was not the real full moon, but the “ecclesiastical full moon” as calculated by the church.
- Sales at Easter time make up 10% of UK chocolate spending for the whole year.
- Ever wondered what the specific term used for the practice of Easter egg painting is? Well it is called “Pysanka”.
- With all those eggs and other yummy chocolaty treats for family friends, it should be no surprise to you that each household spends an average of £75 on Easter per year.
So whatever the Easter bunny brings you this year, you at least have a bit of (useless) knowledge about Easter and its links to chocolate eggs.
Just as an aside…if you need a Kent courier to carry your business, we’re currently giving away a FREE (yes, I did say “free”) Easter egg with each order this week, so call 0800 0192 530 with your requirement to accompany your chocolate.
If you don’t need us, I hope you enjoyed reading and until next time…